Simple

Simple

Zinc Topped Tables

haus-interiors.co.uk
Years ago, I bought a pine table on a whim that was sold to me as an "antique", but my suspicisions have lead me to believe it was a newly crafted table made (not all that well) from old wood. When I think of what it cost me more than ten years ago, I cringe. It was less than $500, however, it seems to me that it could only fetch about the same price today. Not much of an investment, for sure. It's too small for a dining table and too large for a desk. But, the table had an appealing "look"--soft old mellow pine complete with cracks and beetle holes.

patinagreen.typepad.com
The top, split from years of alternating dry and humid conditions, frankly looks terrible and it's too embarrassing to post a photo of it here. I should throw it out, but can't bear to do so since I paid more for it than it's worth and it's a useful place to unload groceries and fills empty space under a kitchen window.
somethingsunique.com
So, I am on a mission to make it look better. The top sports a coat of new gray paint in an attempt to dress it up, but the cracks, holes and chips can't be covered by paint and the table still looks.....well, shabby.

Southern Accents Magazine, Jackye Lanham The solution it seems is to cover the top with zinc. A soft, pliable and (I think) easy to work with metal that will hopefully transform the table from an eyesore into an attractive piece of furniture for not too much money.

lyttonandlily.co.uk
The zinc sample sheets have been ordered and shipped. I've convinced myself that this will be an easy, thirty minute project--tops.

wildflowerorganics.com
Once the finish (the company offers a pre-weathered zinc) and the proper thickness of the zinc sheet is determined, I'll order enough for the table top along with a few basic tools. I hope the project lives up to my expectations. I've already got my eye on the dated counter tops in my kitchen.....

15 comments:

  1. Just curious where you found your Zinc source?
    LaMaison Fou blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's a great idea. i used a steel topped table in the kitchen of my old house and can tell you it was the most durable table i've ever owned. everyone loved the look of it too. i catered on that thing for many, many years. i still miss it. i love your blog, not even sure how i found it.

    janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to see that table of yours, I love those, but I bet I would also love it as is...I love the shabby look. As for my post, I have alot of thoughts about that room, however, bugs is not one of them. lol Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the thought of re-purposing something that's still inherently useful. I think you've hit on the perfect material to breathe new life into this table. Looking forward to seeing it all 'dressed' up.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zinc top's are stunning - a fabulous idea. I cannot wait to hear how it goes. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the element of zinc for many different applications, particularly these gorgeous table tops. What a beautiful post. Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  7. just found your blog and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Topping it with zinc is a great idea. Please show the steps of the project, when you try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh it's going to look beautiful!!!! can you tell me what source you're using for the zinc top? :)
    thanks so much!!!

    lauren@thepurestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the kind comments! The source for zinc sheets is rotometals.com. They also have "how to" videos on their website and seem to have good customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I covered my island top in zinc last year. it turned out great and was a fairly simple project, though it took some patience. Let me know if you have any questions. kljohnston @ hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just found your lovely blog, and I'm so glad I did! I've just posted about what to do with the top of an old timber table, and a few people have suggested covering it with zinc sheeting. Then I stumbled upon this post - now I'm sold on the idea! Your pics are gorgeous, and the perfect inspiration. Now following your blog too! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. btw, did you cover your table, and if so, did you post the finished pictures? I'd love to see the finished product! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am getting ready to re-purpose an old table with a zinc top as well. I am hoping that I can get nice clean edges without sheet metal tools. What thickness of zinc are you using?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments are part of what makes blogging worthwhile! In an effort to control spam, comments are moderated and word verification has been enabled. Apologies for any inconvenience.