Simple

Simple

Blue and White for Christmas

Interior Design by Lisa Luby Ryan, Veranda Magazine, Nov - Dec 2010. Photography by Erica George Dines

Here's an alternative to the traditional red and green Christmas decorations.  Lisa Luby Ryan's interior design for this home in Dallas, Texas features holiday decorations in a Tiffany-like blue accented with white and the natural textures of raffia, burlap, and fresh greenery.  Not everyone may appreciate a gift wrapped in burlap (i.e. my mother), no matter how trendy it is, but who wouldn't like to receive a gift that looks like a box from Tiffany's?

The gift-wrapped boxes also give me another idea.  I still haven't found a reasonably priced Christmas tree skirt that I like and don't want to tackle sewing my own.  Throughout the year, I've been saving cardboard boxes and plan to wrap the empty boxes and place them under the tree along with the gifts.  We're not big gift-givers at my house anyway, so the wrapped boxes will hide the tree stand and keep it from looking so bare. 

So, what do you think?  Has anyone else tried this look before?


10 comments:

  1. I love that look I tried it once in a clients home and they were over the top for it. Now if we could only see that sofa! That picture has been driving me batty with just the end showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About ten years! ago (when I first started banning red in the house at Christmas!) I bought yards of burlap to use as a Christmas tree skirt- no sewing just tucking under the ends! It was perfect. Love the gift in the burlap bag!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acquired Objects - You can see this entire house on Lisa Luby Ryan's website. Click on the "Before and After" section of the website. It's the photo in the upper right hand corner, I believe. It's fun to see that sofa and the whole house.

    Hi Joan - Thanks for the tree skirt suggestion. Quick, easy, inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi deborah,

    i just flipped through the veranda at the market today and that is the page i settled on. how funny. i really love it but i don't like that zebra pillow in the picture. to me it looks out of place. but whatever - i'd live there!

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pretty! I think using just one color of wrapping paper can be a great idea. And its easy too!

    kelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look! I am using vintage ornaments this year, but I don't have enough of the turquoise and white to pull this look yet, maybe next year. But I have aqua, green and natural paper this year. I'm going to post pictures next week hopefully....
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful change of pace for Christmas. My design partner is doing shades of pink and silver which I will post about tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes,loved this shot as well! Have never gone the burlap route but rather like that natural look - but not as much as the Tiffany blue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put my photo on my blog not too long ago. I felt sort of same way but people like to see who you are I think.
    Good luck on all your New Years resolutions. I am a lazy pink girl and did not make any!
    Marie Arden Pink Living

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments are part of what makes blogging worthwhile! In an effort to control spam, comments are moderated and word verification has been enabled. Apologies for any inconvenience.